World Cup 2018 saw astonishing 169 goals in 64 matches at an average of 2.6 goals per match, only two shy of record number of 171 goals scored in 2014 and 1998 editions.
Scoring a goal in World Cup is always special for all football players, but many players in World Cup 2018 put the ball in the wrong net.
There have been 12 own goals scored in the World Cup 2018.
2018 World champion France was the biggest gainer of own goals, they benefited from own goals in their tournament opener when Aziz Behich of Australia scored an own goal in favor of them. Again in the final, Mario Mandzukic of Croatia scored an own goal in favor of France. This is only the first time a team benefited from own goal in their tournament opening and tournament ending game.
The 2018 World Cup own goals are:
- Aziz Bouhaddouz of Morocco in favor of Iran (FT Morocco 0-1 Iran)
- Aziz Behich of Australia in favor of France (FT Australia 1-2 France)
- Oghenekaro Etebo of Nigeria in favor of Croatia (FT Nigeria 0-2 Croatia)
- Thiago Cionek of Poland in favor of Senegal (FT Poland 1-2 Senegal)
- Ahmed Fathy of Egypt in favor of Russia (FT Russia 3-1 Egypt)
- Denis Cheryshev of Russia in favor of Uruguay (FT Uruguay 3-0 Russia)
- Edson Alvarez of Mexico in favor of Sweden (FT Mexico 0-3 Sweden)
- Yann Sommer of Switzerland in favor of Costa Rica (FT Switzerland 2-2 Costa Rica)
- Yassine Meriah of Tunisia in favor of Panama (FT Panama 1-2 Tunisia)
- Sergei Ignashevich of Russia in favor of Spain (FT Spain 1-1 Russia - Russia won on pen)
- Fernandinho of Brazil in favor of Belgium (FT Brazil 1-2 Belgium)
- Mario Mandzukic of Croatia in favor of France (FT France 4-2 Croatia - World Cup final)
What is the record of World Cup own goals:There were 5 own goals scored in 2014 Brazil World Cup. But the record was 6 own goals in 1998 France World Cup. 2018 Russia World Cup doubled the amount to 12 own goals.
10 World Cup own goal fun facts:
- Over the course of 21 World Cup editions, 53 own goals scored
- Manuel Rosas Sanchez of Mexico scored the first ever world cup own goal in favor of Chili in 1930 Cup
- Brazil left back Marcelo holds the unique record of opening a World Cup scoring account with own goal in favor of Croatia in 2014 editions. In this process, Marcelo became the first ever Brazilian to score an own goal in the World Cup. Fernandinho joined him in this (in)famous list in 2018 edition
- Sead Kolasinac of Bosnia and Herzegovina holds the record of fastest own goal with 2 minute 10 seconds against Argentina in 2014 Brazil World Cup
- Only own goal in a World Cup final: Mario Mandzukic of Croatia scored the first ever own goal in a World Cup final in 2018 Russia editions
- Out of 21 editions, only four editions such as 1934, 1958, 1962 & 1990 didn't see any own goal
- Russia (2018) and Bulgaria (1966) scored two own goals in the same tournament
- Mexico leads the way to score most own goals by a team with four own goals
- Most own goals in favor of a team: France in favor of 6 own goals. France also the only World champions not to score any own goal in the tournament
- Ernie Brandts of Netherlands (vs Italy, 1978) and Mario Mandzukic of Croatia ( vs France, 2018) are the only two players to score for both teams in a World Cup match